Monday, February 21, 2011

Another creation and a little on lighting

I set up a little front room of my house to take advantage of the natural light coming in through the windows. I can set up small backdrops and a reflector to shape the light the way I like. I wanted the light to illuminate the mask of the face, but leave shadows to show dimensionality. We call it "short lighting" when the shadow side of the face is closer to the camera. It is called "broad lighting" when the lit side is closer to the camera. Generally, short lighting is more flattering as it helps define and narrow the face. Broad lighting can make the face appear larger to the camera. I used a reflector to lift the shadow side, so it wasn't as dark. Contrast the two photos on the left below. The top one uses short lighting, the bottom one shows broad lighting.

I took a few photos here recently, of my littlest who just turned two. I then took some of these photos to create a little piece as shown here.

No comments:

Post a Comment