Saturday, February 12, 2011

Anniversary Gift

My parents are having their 40th wedding anniversary next week. I wanted to create something special for them. So I created a piece from 10 different pictures, and had it printed on a canvas float wrap for them. It is 16"x20". I layered and arranged each picture to create a single piece, and also included excerpts of poems or essays they had each written in the past.

I tried to use photos that signified important concepts, moments, or periods of time in their married life, and incorporated the the picture of the hand-hewn cross, as their Christianity has been very central to much of what they have done or learned. All but three of the pictures I took (or possibly my husband). Obviously their wedding picture, picture of their family when I was three, and picture of the teepee where we all lived after moving to Montana (when I was three), I did not take. My husband and I took the picture of the lake in Montana just as the clouds were rolling in, when we visited there in 2005. The other picture of our house where I grew up, I took at some point in the early 90s. And the most recent picture of them in the bottom right, I took last spring in their backyard.

I layered different textures (photos I've taken of different things/textures) with different opacities to achieve the background, all of which go with the picture on the bottom, of a lake where they spent time in their early married/family years and one my father (an artist) had even painted a picture of at one time.

It arrived early and they were thrilled. So here is the picture of the first test printing hanging on the wall:






After receiving it, I edited the photo before the final printing on canvas. Here is the final picture before printing it for them:


I truly believe each person is a piece of art. I enjoyed creating this for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment